Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Interesting information intake

Today I sat down, against the protests of some of the voices in my head, and watched a videoconference from the organization with which I used to be employed. I wanted to hear about their new goals for the future and how bright and rosy everything was going to be now that the riff-raff hadn't been reappointed and were no longer employed. Of course, it was easy to listen-in since the government has promised and promised to be more transparent and the video teleconference (VTC) was held on the Internet and not behind a protective firewall.

As all of the participating VTC locations were signing-in, I did see two disabled employees on one of the cameras. One utilizes a wheelchair and one had a service dog with him. This gives me hope that the entire organization wasn't looking for a way to remove those with disabilities in order to be come a "more nimble organization." Now I know that I can just focus on the region which determined that eight years of experience, training, and qualifications weren't enough because I don't know many with disabilities from there that are still employed.

Anyway, I heard a lot of interesting information in this meeting. In a quick summary -- even if you were reappointed to your job, that doesn't mean you still have one after the end of the year. Those who were reappointed were extended until 31 December 2012 but if they don't remember to reapply for the new program (or just decide they don't want to apply for it) then their job is gone. And when they reapply, they do have some preference because they're currently working and are already qualified for the job, but if they don't apply early enough or aren't really qualified enough they might not keep their job. And there are over 3,000 vacancies that they need to fill in addition to the appointed positions that are currently filled. So if a bunch decide they don't want to play by the new rules or don't qualify for their jobs, there will be even more positions available for new people -- or new "old" people, like me -- to take.

I found all of that very, very interesting. For so long I've heard many who were reappointed gloating over the fact that they still have a job and that those of us who weren't must have been lazy, stupid, or any number of other reasons for not being as good as they are. Now to know that they have to reapply for their own job is making many very nervous.

The times, they are a changing. The "good-ol' boy" network won't be around because the people who used to run it won't be in charge anymore. A lot of things that people took for granted have been identified and are being eliminated. Streamlining the program is making a lot of people upset and some have started to say that it's not worth sticking around through the changes. If they're that shallow, let them leave. The job is to help others, not just line your pockets when you feel like being out because of someone else's misfortune.

Will I reapply? Sure. I have nothing to lose. I'll apply for positions I want, though, rather than where they just stick people. That's what happened eight years ago when I first started working with them. I wanted to do one type of job; was told I'd be much more qualified for something else that I really wanted to do; and ended up in a job that I enjoyed but really wasn't as excited about. Maybe this will be the way I'll be able to find my place and use my talents in the best way possible for myself and the people served by the organization.

And, as I said, if I don't get rehired I don't lose anything other than a little time applying for the jobs. I don't have one now so I can't lose something I don't have. I'm still going to advocate for equal employment rights. It's very near and dear to me. And if all of my questioning and investigating keeps me from getting a job, so be it. I'm going to do what I think is right for me for a change and not just what everyone else wants me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment