Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Search for answers continues....

Ahhh....just when you thought it was safe to come back to the blog, I'm writing about trying to find out why I didn't keep my job again. Actually, it's not so much about why I didn't keep it. It's more about making sure that the reason for my release wasn't something discriminatory.

Today I resent the email I'd sent last week to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) officer as well as his supervisor, the Equal Rights Officer (ERO), asking for more information and at least a response of some sort since he had marked my previous email as read but I'd not received anything. I also received only one response from my Congressional/Senatorial search for answers and completed the Privacy Act information sheet they requested so they could process my inquiry. Seems odd that one who didn't respond is up for election and lives in the same town in which I live! So much for "hometown concern" this election season.

I did receive a response from the ERO supervisor. I was somewhat surprised until I remembered that if the supervisor receives complaints about employees not completing their duties, they have to do something about it. Well, they don't "have to" I've discovered, but it looks better on their performance appraisals if they do. Here is what I received:
Unfortunately, I cannot provide any specifics with regard to your statements and that received from your cadre leadership. I can tell you that each organization now has an “established force structure” level. Basically, that we will only be allowed a certain number of individuals in any cadre based upon the number that is established for the cadre. My own cadre is going through this same situation. Please let me know if you do not hear from someone by next week.
Not exactly an answer to my question but it does address the fact that all cadres are having to cut-back. I replied with sincere thanks and asked for additional information as it is received regarding my inquiries as to why a simple reason of downsizing or a referral letter couldn't be provided so that those who've lost their jobs will have an easier time finding new ones. I then received the following item from a friend who saw it posted on a social media site:
So, [Assistant Administrator Name] graced us with his presence yesterday, and put on a dog and pony show - gist as follows. 1) DAE's will be assigned to the Region they live in. 2) If that Region is fully staffed, and you are offered a position, it will be as a "surge" type of role. 3) An email will go out in the next 10 days, a package within the next month RE: re-application. 4) We are top-heavy with those in the C3 to E range, so there's gonna be some payroll adjustments. 5) When asked if they are trying to get rid of people, responded "Some people are taking this the wrong way."
"Taking this the wrong way" -- are they serious? How else is someone who has worked for years without any issues (and I'm not just talking about myself) supposed to take not being retained in their job? Yes, it's a temporary job. No, you're not supposed to rely on it for your sole source of income. I didn't. I'm one of the lucky ones that has a spouse who makes enough to pay the bills if I'm not working, but I knew a lot of others that this was the best job they could find and all they had because you're supposed to be able to deploy at a moment's notice but no one else will hire you for a "permanent" job when you're planning to leave any time you're called-up. And when looking at the differences between what new employees were making with this organization and what they could make "in the real world," there's no denying that people would prefer this job over a "typical" one. I, however, did it because I was good at it (and I'm not ashamed to say so) and I knew I was making a difference. And, yes, the money I made helped when there were unexpected medical bills (usually mine and usually caused by the stress of this type of work) or if my family wanted to visit where I was working over the holidays (which helped my morale a lot) or perhaps all of us taking a trip somewhere (which never did happen).

Still no idea how all of this will end and I've been looking for something else that fits my personality and work ability so that I'll have something else to do during the day. I don't feel so much as if I'm beating my head against the wall with this. It's more like trying to figure out a mystery. Who's got the answers and whose buttons can I push just right that might give me some information that someone really didn't want everyone else to know. It's like when I used to be a reporter/editor with the newspaper. There's a juicy story in this somewhere. I've just got to figure out where to dig.

No comments:

Post a Comment