Monday, April 23, 2012

Three pages too much?

Last week my therapist gave me "homework" to do. I was supposed to sit down and come up with a list of things I can and can't do at work. Things that make work easy for me. Things that make work very difficult for me. Personality traits. Observations from others who've seen me work or actually worked with me.

I discussed this with Husband over the weekend and wanted his opinions as well because he (1) sees me every day and knows my moods/emotions sometimes better than I do and (2) we've worked together in "regular" jobs and have owned a business together. And I told him to be unbiased and be very direct and blunt about what he thinks could be an asset or a liability. Taking the easy way out, he told me to make my list and he'd read it, adding anything he thought I'd forgotten.

So, I did. I sat down and looked at a list of mental and physical traits considered good and negative for people in the workforce as determined by the Social Security Administration. I figured I'd use their employment/unemployment information because they're not out to make money by trying to sell anyone a book or set of CDs on how to improve your attitude and have their lists based on that. Kind of the way some of the online medical sites word things to make you think that you have every disease you're looking-up so that you'll buy a subscription to whatever it is they're selling.

At the end of my self-assessment, I had almost three pages (typed) full of mental, physical, and behavioral traits I see in myself or have heard others tell me (either through "self-assessment tests" or just them venting at me). So, I grabbed Husband and had him sit down to read the list as he said he would do. He didn't add anything. He didn't want to take anything away, either. I began to wonder about myself. Did I really get the list correct and think that highly and lowly of myself, or was Husband just too afraid to make any changes to the list because he knows that at times I can be very obstinate and resistant to change when I think I'm right?

I guess we'll find out when I take the list back on Wednesday. Meanwhile, I'm not going to worry about it too much. That's one of the things I said that I did on the list. And if I worry about it too much I'll end up posting about it, and I'm pretty sure no one wants to read about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment