Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My optimal job?

Went to see my therapist today. She's concerned that I'm not doing as well since I'm not working and still trying to find answers. We talked; she asked questions; I answered them; and then I left.

Well, it wasn't that simple. She asked me a lot more questions today than usual. And she was trying to help me determine what would be the best job for my personality. Politics was her first suggestion. I immediately told her that I wouldn't be a popular elected figure because I have a low tolerance for stupid and that the "shut-up filter" in my head doesn't always work. She asked if that wouldn't be a good thing to have now since it would be different from what we have now? I told her it wouldn't be a good idea because the last politician that spoke his mind and didn't really give a crap about what anyone thought was Teddy Roosevelt and there was an assassination attempt on his life (but he kept going with his speech). I also don't have the ability to promise things that I know I can't deliver or be beholden to people just because of the money they have.

We discussed my strengths and weaknesses. I told her about career fields that Husband had suggested that I had turned-down because I know that I don't have the personality to do them. She asked me what she thought my optimal job would be. What would let me do what I wanted to do and be able to do my job without someone micromanaging me? What would let me be able to help others but also make sure that people are doing their jobs correctly? What would let me feel that I'm accomplishing my goals/desires while I work?

The only thing I could come up with at the spur of the moment was "dictator of a third-world country." My therapist laughed and said that my answer didn't surprise her. Husband wasn't surprised when I told him tonight, either.

Now I have a "homework" assignment to make a list of things that I can and can't do while working. That's going to be interesting.

But for now, I have to go watch "Toddlers and Tiaras." I don't want to, but a friend of mine from high school is going to be on it and has been talking about it for quite a while and I said I'd watch it. Husband asked if I'm going to blog about it. I don't think I could express my contempt of that show and the way the kids and parents act well enough with polite words.

No comments:

Post a Comment