Thursday, April 26, 2012

"I always take that way sometimes"

Okay....I just couldn't resist. I love Husband dearly and he is a very intelligent person. But there are times that he says things that just make me scratch my head. It's not that what he says is terribly wrong; it's that what he says, once you think about it, doesn't make any sense.

Everyone's heard about oxymorons like "jumbo shrimp" and "government intelligence." But Husband goes way beyond that at times. Unfortunately, I do have to admit some blame for this because of my English courses in college combined with my OCD that makes me a "grammar nazi" at times. And I'm also the one that moved him from "civilization" to a very rural area where proper English is just a passing fancy. Now he's learned a bit of slang and also repeats things that people have said to him without realizing it.

Today's little gem is the title of this post. I'd heard over the police scanner that there was a three-car accident at the intersection of our street and the main road that he takes from the Interstate on his way home from work. I knew he was on his way home because he had called to see if I needed for him to pick anything up from the store on his way. I called him to see how far away from home he was and he had just left work, so I told him that there's an accident at our intersection and it would probably be cleared before he arrived but that he might want to think about taking another route to our house. At first he didn't understand why I was talking about going another way because he didn't recognize the street names as being the big intersection at the end of our road. Then when I repeated my suggestion he said, "I always take that way sometimes." I asked him how that was possible and, of course, I could hear the frustration in his voice because he knows I'm not going to let him forget it.

It's like the time years ago that we were going to go shopping at the mall and he said that there was a video that he wanted to buy. I was trying to watch the budget, as was he, and he suggested a store where they sold VHS tapes (yes, it was a long time ago) rather inexpensively. I asked him which movie he wanted and it wasn't one that I really had at the top of my list to watch. But, to placate me and reassure me that he wouldn't spend too much, he said, "I'll go look and if I don't see one, I won't buy it." "Obviously," I replied, which only received a confused look from him. Then I had to explain what he said and why it didn't make sense. It still doesn't, but it's also our inside joke on when we go shopping and how we'll decide what to get.

I'm sure I can think of many more that have been said over the years we've been together, but all of the voices in my head are trying to remind me of a thousand things (many which are irrelevant and unimportant) while they're laughing over this latest phrase. Yup, it will be in the memory banks for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment