Saturday, March 17, 2012

Am-Dram: WE DID IT!!!

Congratulations!!! Our last performance tonight was awesome! We had a great audience and everyone remembered (most of) their lines!

I got there early (as usual) to help re-set the "stage" and make sure the props were ready for the actors. I did the speciality makeup for those who needed it and started watching as the audience arrived. A few at first, which was nice but they also were very early. We didn't open our doors for ticket sales until 6:30 p.m. and some were arriving as early as 6 p.m., which is unusual for a small community theatre production. Then when we opened the doors, more and more people arrived. And more people. And then a gentleman brushed past me "backstage" and asked if there were more chairs. I had no idea who he was or what he was talking about (found out later that it was the husband of one of the Board members). I looked out from my hiding place and the seats were full! He and a friend of his added more chairs. About 15 minutes later, they came back and got more chairs.

I told the director that we were still selling tickets and I'd decided to hold the house (meaning we wouldn't start the show on-time so more people could get in and seated). I kept watching the people coming in. Some didn't sit in the folding chairs provided -- they decided to sit on the small benches built-into the columns. People were all trying to make sure they had a great view.

The next thing I knew, the actors were taking the stage. I hadn't told the director that we were ready yet -- he'd just given them their pep-talk and said to "Get out there and do it!" So they did. And people were still buying tickets. But, they're onstage so we've got to get started. I walked out and thanked everyone for coming and gave the usual spiel about silencing cell phones and keeping conversations to a minimum but encouraging them to laugh and enjoy the show.

And, boy, did they laugh! The audience got all of the jokes, "oohed" and "aahed" when they realized something was going to happen, and gave the cast a standing ovation at the end. All of the actors did very well and I was very, very proud to be their technical director/designer/stage manager/prop master/everything else that needed to be done person. We had a great company and I wish we could have done more shows. We wanted to do more than two, but next week is Spring Break and most of our cast (either being a teacher or working with the school district) will be gone. Oh well, our two performances will be remembered for quite a while.

Now we just have to think about what show to do next. I'll be helping Youngest Son's junior high with their production of "The Borrowers" in April. Maybe we'll do another show in the fall. But for now, I'm going to put my black clothes and makeup kit away for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment