Friday, January 13, 2012

Preparing for battle tomorrow....

Today I'd planned to write something about it being the first Friday the 13th of the new year, but holy crap on a cracker!! You guys are really into my post about Discovery Channel's Combat Cash! My hit-counts are going way up and I've had a few comments on the article, too. I'm either the new speaker for the masses who agree with me that the show is not what it should/could be or I'm the new heretic that should be burned at the stake for daring to say that I didn't like it and feel as if that's an hour of my life I'll never, ever get back.

Either way, it stands up under the Rules for this blog -- I write only from the truth, even if it's just the truth as I see it. And everyone is free to agree or disagree or agree to disagree with me. This is just a blog I started to help me process things going on in my head and I can't help it if something sticks in my craw and the "shut-up filter" won't activate while I'm typing. So, thanks to those who've read and shared the post! Thanks to those who've commented! And thanks to those who want to continue this journey with me through the rest of the year. Remember, insanity doesn't run through my family -- it saunters slowly and gets to know everyone before making itself at home!

So, kind of on the same topic of my Combat Cash rant, today Husband and I are preparing for the Battle of the Bulge reenactment tomorrow at Camp Clark outside Nevada, Missouri. It's not as large of an affair as the Conneaut, Ohio D-Day battle, but for those of us in the Midwest who want to have a fun weekend doing LARP (live-action role-playing) of Axis versus Allies it's a great place to go. Husband is currently packing the car with the militaria we plan to sell at the event from my website. Just a note -- if you are from California and are coming to the event, don't tell anyone where you're from because the word around the Midwest dealers is that now we can double or triple our prices because of that show and you'll be more than willing to pay them. I don't plan on taking any modern-day militaria; just packing the WWII through Vietnam-era items that might be of interest to the reenactors. Many of them will get tired or will have blown through their supply of blanks quickly and will want something to do, so we're more than happy to sell them stuff at reasonable prices so they can brag to their friends/comrades/etc. what a deal they got or how they were lucky to find such an unusual item.

I'm in the process of making sure all of my uniform pieces are present and ready for inspection. Yes, even though I'm a female and women didn't have front-line positions in the military, I do WWII reenacting and have for many, many years. And not just when I do Soviet where females were on the front-lines as snipers, tank crews, and many other positions. I am the unit commander for the 35th Infantry Division, MP Platoon based out of Southern Missouri and Arkansas. I do a male impression when there's a tactical battle (no public audience) because I'm not content to sit on the sidelines and watch all the guys have fun running through the woods and "shooting" at each other. I have to make sure my uniform is correct; my hair is cut short like the guys or pinned-up so that it meets the 10-foot "authenticity" rule; and I have to show and reshow people I'm just as qualified and in some cases more qualified to lead a unit into "battle." And as for the 10-foot "authenticity" rule, I pass it easily. True, I'm heavier than most WWII recruits would have been and there's always some smartass who makes a comment about the ampleness of my chestular region. But, my uniform is usually more authentic (or at least reproduced more authentically) than many of the guys' are. Also, Husband and I have sent shockwaves through some of the German units who thought they witnessed two male reenactors kissing after a particularly tough scenario, only to find out that it was us greeting each other on the way back to the vehicles. I'd say that counts as an "authenticity" pass.

This year, however, I probably won't be on the "front lines" as much since Celeste, my service dog, will be coming with me. Beaucerons were used in WWI and WWII by the Allies, so she'll be the perfect "war dog" to take and intimidate the captured enemy soldiers into confessing their objectives (even though the most she'd do would be lick them if I let her). She's even getting excited about going somewhere because she sees me packing new leads and collars and a lot of extra food, water, treats, and her booties (to protect her pads) in her personal bag. Plus, she deserves "doggie time" and there will be ample time when the battle is raging somewhere else that she and I can toss a ball around and let herself enjoy playing in the sun.

Husband, however, has already jumped into "military mode." As a bit of history on him, he is a military veteran having served in both the Army and Air National Guard for over 28 years. But when we get ready for WWII battles, you'd think he'd jumped-back in time and "Sergeant Husband" has stepped forward to organize a full mobilization. He want to be sure to get to the "fuel depot" (to fill-up our 2001 Suzuki Esteem wagon since we no longer own a military vehicle). He's up at "Oh-Christ-Hundred Hours" making a list of everything that needs to be done and packed and the specific order in which it will be done so that he can stow the "manifest" to ensure everything makes it to the battle site and back home again. Actually, I can't complain -- he saves me a LOT of time and worry about things because usually all I have to do the morning of the trip is wake up, take the dogs to go "walkies," get dressed and enjoy the ride because everything's packed and ready. Even my ammunition clips are already loaded and waiting for me!

So, this is what I'll be doing tomorrow. I just wanted to be sure to clarify that in case I'm either too tired or too sore to type anything before tomorrow's midnight deadline in keeping with the Rules of the blog. But don't worry -- I'll be sure to have a great recap of what happens, especially for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about. It's not a cheap hobby; it's not an easy hobby; but it's my hobby and it's a LOT of fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment