Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Discovery's "Combat Cash" goes MIA tonight.

It's Wednesday and I settled in for an interesting evening. Two weeks ago this blog lit up after I said that Discovery's Combat Cash was awful. That's not exactly what I said, but you can go back and read the original post for yourself.

I looked up when it would be on again and found that today was the next air date. TV Guide said that I'd have to be ready to watch at 7 p.m. Central Standard Time. Here are the descriptions of the episodes:
7 p.m. - Real GI Joe; 1795 Springfield Musket: A 1795 Springfield musket is test fired; a rare GI Joe is sold; the guys meet a helicopter crew from the Vietnam War. New (CC)

7:30 p.m. - Hellcat Ammo; Flamethrowers: Flamethrowers from WWII and the Vietnam War are used for a photo shoot; the guys search for ammo for a Hellcat tank. New (CC)
I started flipping channels to find something to watch until 7 p.m. and switched to Discovery a few minutes early so I could get settled-in with a snack. The show advertised above as the 7 p.m. episode was ending! What's up with that??

So, I went to Discovery's website and pulled-up the schedule for tonight. Here's what they advertised (times are Eastern Standard Time):
7 p.m. - Hellcat Ammo/Flamethrowers TV-PG; Bob and Owen roll up their sleeves to search for WWII-era ammunition for a Hellcat tank. The owner offers them the bonus of getting to fire off some live rounds. Then the guys light up a special photo shoot with WWII and Vietnam War-era flamethrowers.

7:30 p.m. - Real GI Joe/1795 Springfield Musket TV-PG; Vintage Productions owner Bob and partner Owen connect passionate collectors with rare military items. They sell a very rare GI Joe and test fire a 1795 Springfield musket. But it's their job for a Vietnam-era Huey helicopter crew that really strikes home.
I did get to see the guys test fire the Springfield musket and the video of the new owner placing it in his customized display which, when the musket is inserted, looks like a "life-sized" Combat Infantry Badge. That's actually pretty awesome. A neat idea for displaying a nice firearm.

But that's all I got to see! TV Guide and the satellite guide say one thing; Discovery says something else. TV Guide and the satellite say the episodes will rerun at midnight Central Standard Time. Discovery says they'll rerun at 1:30 a.m., 2 a.m., and 2:30 a.m. tomorrow morning, January 26th.

I don't know about everyone else, but I do enjoy sleeping. It's one of my favorite activities. And I function a LOT better when I have an average amount of it each day. I'm not staying up until "0-Christ-Hundred" to watch a show that may or may not be worth watching.

So what's up, Discovery?? I've already been getting emails and question from friends/family if maybe the episodes weren't aired when they were advertised because they didn't want me to see it again. While that's flattering, I don't believe my blog post would cause a full-scale schedule makeover. But I still don't understand why Discovery would change its schedule when it's already been printed and programmed for one time and decide to air the episodes when people are not usually watching Discovery. Do they want it to fail now? Are they hoping only the diehard militaria fans will stay-up to watch it? Do they hope that those who are usually up at those times will "appreciate" the show more than those who made sure their schedules were open to watch at the advertised times?

Shame on you, Discovery. Shame, shame, shame. I was actually looking forward to watching the episodes -- and not just to be snarky about them. I wanted to see if there was any improvement from the first two episodes and be able to comment positively on that. I have no idea why anyone would want WWII-era ammunition for a Hellcat, so not having seen the episode I can only imagine that it's an idiotic reason since ammunition does become unstable over time, but I don't know and I'm not going to speculate.

I'll wait and see if new episodes are forthcoming, but I'm beginning to seriously doubt it. Especially since there's an article on Discovery's website saying "Combat Cash Finale" and dated today (January 25, 2012).

Oh well....at least I've got time to watch something else, and it sure as heck isn't going to be Sons of Guns that they've decided to show in the scheduled time slot for Combat Cash. If you thought I didn't like Combat Cash, you don't want to go into the deep waters of Sons of Guns. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment